We're looking for an energetic, creative and responsible prep cook that is prepared and excited to work in a unique cooking environment. At Via Umbria, our small kitchen team is responsible for preparing menu items for the café- ranging from breakfast frittatas and pastries to pizzas, salads, sandwiches, soups and pastas for lunch and happy hour service. In addition, the demonstration kitchen is utilized for private dining or ticketed events, cooking classes and boutique catering. With the wide array of opportunities at Via Umbria, the ideal candidate is someone with the flexibility to take on a multi-faceted job, work well as part of a small team and take direction, but is also able to take initiative with the various tasks at hand. We are looking for and experienced prep or line cook who preferably has experience in Italian cuisine. Reporting to the Head Chef, the Via Umbria prep cook is responsible for continuously driving the operational aspects of cooking and hospitality within the principles of the food emporium. The ability to work in a creative, yet fast-paced environment is ideal and strong organizational skills imperative to keeping the kitchen running smoothly.
As a Via Umbria prep cook you will:
- Prepare meals from our seasonal menu for the café- ranging from breakfast, lunch or happy hour service items, as needed;
- Utilize our fresh produce and create off menu dishes when necessary;
- Learn and replicate recipes from our Head Chef and guest Italian Chefs that represent Umbrian cuisine- both savory and sweet;
- Keep the kitchen, walk-in and storage organized and clean for an efficient tracking system and the effective utilization of produce, products and ingredients on hand;
- Be willing to assist and potentially take responsibility for projects and events at hand- from cooking classes to private events.
- The Ideal Candidate should:
- Have the ability to maintain an organized and professional work space;
- Have experience as a prep or line cook, preferably with a background in Italian cuisine;
- Be able to track inventory and potentially assist with ordering responsibly if necessary;
- Be accountable and have a strong work ethic;
- Want to deliver quality food, products and service to the customers of Via Umbria;
- Be inspired by dynamic work environments and enjoys being busy;
- Be flexible, a quick thinker and quick learner; and
- Be reliable and consistent. Your managers and teammates can always depend on you to be punctual, looking sharp in accordance with our dress code, and bringing your A-game.
This position is paid hourly.